9/29/21 UPDATE: Thailand has finally opened up to VACCINATED tourists. Since we only have 45 days til the trip start, I'm 'canceling' this trip for this year, HOWEVER I am still going to be going to Thailand, as it will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience Thailand without a ton of tourists. if you want to join me feel free to email me. firstname.lastname@example.org
Thailand Adventure Tour 2021
*PART I - Northern Thailand Jungles & Burma/Laos*
This is an amazing 'choose your own adventure' style tour. Register for the parts you are interested in! Each part is 8 nights to maximize your vacation
Nov 19 - Nov 27: Part I - Thailand/Laos/Burma Jungles Adventure
Nov 27 - Dec 5 : Part II - Thailand's Best Beaches
Dec 5- Dec ?: Post-Trip Add-on to Exotic Bali (upon request)
- Explore some of Northern Thailand's most iconic jungles on one epic adventure
- Discover Loy Krathong aka the most breathtaking holiday in Thailand
- Hike among thousands of colorful beaches
- Stay in comfort: sleep under the stars, in bungalows and be comforted by your guide's expert knowledge
Activities & what to expect
Northern Thailand - for those of you that have never been, you are in for a once-in-a-lifetime treat! Cooking the best Thai food you have ever had yourself, riding a bamboo boat down a river to a remote village where you jump on an elephant that takes you up the hills to a long-neck tribe in jungles. That night we gather in a hut, make some more good food on an open floor fire, chat and laugh before slumbering off on sleeping mats.
Laos/Burma - as part of exploring northern Thailand we will briefly go into Burma and Laos for a day. For a long time, these two countries were off-limits to most foreigners so it is a pleasure as we are able to explore freely now, and will provide a good introduction should you decide to spend more time in these countries in the future.
Who will be on the trip?
Expect 8-15 of your fellow Urban Diversion members as well as non-members looking to escape the rat-race of the working world and experience some peaceful surrealism of the pristine jungle combined with the thrill of foreign adventures. THIS TRIP FILLS UP EVERY YEAR!
Activities listen in the itinerary (unless otherwise noted), 2 person bungalow or midrange accommodations; local guide leadership as well as exclusive expert guide; all ground and water transportation, the usual fun and memories that UD is known for!
Your Adventure Itinerary: Northern Thailand
DAY 0 - Thursday November 18 - The day you fly out
- remember you are crossing the Date line, so you will have lost a day. But also, If you are arriving early let me know and I'll set up your
DAY 1 - Friday November 19 - Arrival date
- You will get in late.Check the flight recommendations below. You can optionally arrive on Saturday morning too.
- For those that arrive this day we will be checking out the first day of Loy Krathong lantern festival, enjoying some great food and
DAY 2 - Saturday November 20 | Lantern Festival
- We arrive in Chang Mai Airport, check in to the hotel, and have a nice walkabout to get dinner.
- Markets tour of Chiang Mai, and at night there will be the amazing lantern festival - Loy Krathong aka the biggest holiday in Thailand - watch as Chinese lanterns fill the sky and floating Krathong fill the rivers
DAY 3 - Sunday, November 20
- Thai Cooking class in the morning, monk chat, shopping for lanterns
DAY 4, 5 & 6 - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
- Trekking the easy way - elephant ride, gorgeous river excursion, excursion into Laos and Burma, gorgeous waterfalls, amazing temples, caves and incredible views as we visit a rural village of the long-neck people
- 1-night stay at a local Karen village in a traditional hut, 1-night stay near Burma, 1-night stay to catch the non-touristed local nightlife
DAY 7 & 8 - Thursday & Friday
- We will be exploring Pai, the famous backpacker chill adventure town of the North, there is so much to do in Pai, we will just let you read about it here
- We will be getting our Thanksgiving dinner in Pai... and what is better than Pie for thanksgiving!
DAY 9 - Saturday November 27
- Head back to Chiang Mai, Fly to Bangkok for week 2 or to fly home
Costs and Payment
Cost is registration plus the balance paid later
**Far better and cheaper than most trips out there! AND we see the best of the best with your friends from the Bay!**
Registration: $495 to $795 - Registering for this event will require you to pay the Registration fee immediately. This amount changes depending upon when you register, register early as this sells out EVERY YEAR! This fee is non-refundable.
Balance: +$850 (IN ADDITION TO THE REGISTRATION FEE)
The balance is due by check at least 45 days prior to this event, and can be charged, or paid via paypal/venmo/check
- +$850 - For 1 week (in addition to registration fee)
- +$850 x 2 - For 2 weeks (in addition to 2x registration fees, aka register for both here)
If a payment is not received 45 days prior to this event, we will use your Credit Card to pay for the balance unless you notify us otherwise.
To get the most out of our time, we will be doing a lot of moving during this trip; you will not be in one location for more than 3 nights. All accommodations are above average (3-4 star) and not the cheap backpacker-style places. When available, we have mid-range beach bungalows in the south and nice boutique hotels in the north.
- Thailand - not needed
- Laos - We will pay that at the border for our short excursion
- Burma - We will pay that at the border for our short excursion, you will also need a passport photo (available at the border - about $30)
- Bali Indonesia - You will need a visa, you can obtain one on arrival at the Denpasar airport - cost $25
Health & Vaccinations
Usually for the areas we are going it is not required, but this changes often... please check the health site and talk to your doctor.
What to bring
- PASSPORT THAT DOES NOT EXPIRE WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF ARRIVAL!
- If your passport expires in less than 6 months, they will not let you in. You will not receive a refund from the airline or us. Need one? Go to this link (it will take a few weeks so do it now) - If you are in a pinch to get your passport, you can bring your ticket that leaves within a few days to the passport agency in SF or LA and pay a ton of money for a same day passport.... but don't plan on it!
- A full printout of this!
- A money pouch (bring 20x$1 bills, and some $5 as they come in handy for tipping)
- Clothing, shoes, swim shorts, toiletries, etc... Here is an exhaustive 8-page list if you really want one.
- Some unusual things from the list that are good ideas; flashlight/headlight, extra batteries, camelback or small travel cooler, bandana, zip-ties, and some zip-lock bags (never know when you want to get wet but are carrying your camera)
Questions? Call your host directly - 415-776-7455 (Lance)